Personalization has long been a promise of the Internet however its execution among the merchant community has not yet met the elevated expectations of consumers. This white paper takes a two-pronged approach, sharing merchants’ qualitative insights about the topic via commentary from individual interviews, in conjunction with a quantitative survey completed by 130 merchants in late 2011.
Success starts with small steps per a list of eight “not to be missed” in pursuit of personalization. These steps are a must read for any merchant already entrenched in personalization as well as those who may be bantering internally about the optimal solution for their business. The results are tangible from a monetary and consumer engagement perspective, the two critical components for driving businesses growth.
- Findings from a quantitative survey that explored the current state of personalization including:
- Performance within merchant organizations
- Opportunities and challenges that might prevent personalization from realizing its cross-channel potential
- Its role in driving loyalty and bottom-line sales.
- Data from proprietary e-tailing group research relative to personalization including the annual Merchant Survey and Mystery Shopping Study
- “Eight Steps to Master Personalization” that emanated from merchant responses to a series of questions around unrealized opportunities, personalization roadmaps and what personalization nirvana would be for their company
Table of Contents
- Survey Objectives and Methodology
- Reflections on Personalization
- Eight Steps to Mastering Personalization
- Understand Personalization is a Process
- Align Internally to Ensure Success
- Foster a Personalization Culture
- Listen to your Customers
- Deliver an Experience that is Helpful
- Put the Personal in Personalization
- Apply a Cross-Channel Lens
- Test, Measure, Evolve
- Final Thoughts